Friday, November 26, 2010

Leather Done

Hope you all had a very relaxing Happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends.  I did.  Now I am enjoying my Friday by myself and "thinking" of going out shopping.  Hmmmm..haven't decided yet.

But either way, I did finish my thrift store leather bargain.

I know, this picture probably doesn't look much different that the original.  But, it sure fits better.  I took in one inch on both sides, a half inch down the back, and took up the shoulders an inch.  Oh yeah, and hemmed the sleeves an inch.
When I
did the shoulders, shhh, don't tell a tailor, but I did it in a very unorthodox way!!
Instead of taking off the sleeve and re-doing it, I just stitched it back an inch.  Hey, it worked. Except for one mistake.  I took it in a little too much on the one sleeve and had to carefully rip the seam some.  It did show some poke holes, but it really isn't that noticeable.


 The back seam looked bunchy (is that a word?), so I touched some glue down the sides to hold it down.
Here is a picture of the sleeves.  You can see the old line.

So, now I have a new jacket to wear this winter.  AND I hear we are going to get a Lake effect snowstorm this afternoon. 

Enjoy your day sewing everyone that has the day off.  I'm listening to the Beatles A to Z on 97 Rock.  Oh yeah baby!!

7 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

You did a great job on that leather coat. I've not sewn leather yet, but I am planning a faux suede skirt from some home dec fabric very soon.

Toocutedobs said...

You are ready now to Rock N'Roll in that new black leather jacket that turned out great. Just don't let me catch you with leather pants on! That might be a little "Banger Sisters" you know "GRIN".

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Great refashion!

gwensews said...

Nice make-over!

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

Wow. What a great refashion!!! You did a beautiful job and what a lovely jacket you ended up with.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the leather jacket! I bought a leather coat a few months ago at a thrift store and it too needs some changes - shortening the sleeves and really it would look better and less dated if I shortened it into a jacket. Do you have any pointers for sewing leather? Just a special needle?

Julia said...

Great job! Great way to make it over to fit you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels